Tuesday 25 August 2015

Super Online Sewing Match: The End!

I still can't quite believe this, but I opened my email last night to some very exciting news: I won the Super Online Sewing Match! I remember when I was debating whether or not it was even worth it to send in an audition email. I didn't think I stood a chance!


Before submitting our entries for round five, we were asked what we learned about ourselves and our sewing through this contest. This was my answer:

"This has been a summer of huge personal growth for me in many ways; I moved out of residence to live on my own, I worked my first full-time job, and I competed in this contest. Oddly enough, I've called sewing and knitting my "creative outlet" since picking it up again just over two years ago, I've never considered myself a very creative or artistic person. At school, I've always been strongest in math and science, and that's exactly what I'm studying at university - the most creative course I'll be taking next year is computer programming! 

That being said, this contest has made me realize how creative I can actually be. I felt a little like the underdog in this contest, being the youngest with only a couple years of "serious" sewing under my belt, but it has really pushed me to branch out, try new techniques, change designs to suit my style, and make the highest quality garment I can. It's given me the incentive I needed to break out of my habit of making more knit tops and dresses! I never knew if anything would work out, but everything so far has, and because of that, I've become so much more confident in my sewing.



I've also realized how much I love hand sewing, which I've always seen as a finishing touch, usually to make the finishing of a garment less visible. My Marianne dress was my first project where my hand stitching was visible on purpose, and I loved it! I can't wait to experiment with other hand embellishments - next up is learning some hand embroidery!"



I'm so incredibly proud of everything I've made as part of this contest. I wear both my Sutton Blouse and my Marianne Dress quite a bit, and I sleep in my Carolyn Pajamas every night! My Caravan Tote is my go-to summer bag anytime I need something a little bigger than my purse, and perfect for cycling when I wear it as a backpack!



I was so happy with my Cascade Duffle Coat, and I think it'll be so great for fall in Montreal, but I really had no idea how this contest would end. Leah and Teresa are both such talented sewists, and they both made amazing coats. It's been such a pleasure to sew alongside everyone else in the contest as well:  Lori, Barbara, Meredith, Michelle, Kristina, Tanya, and Cheryl. I loved seeing everyone's take on the same patterns, and I got many ideas for future projects from them!


This contest couldn't have come at a better time for me. I'm just about to move into my first apartment in Montreal, where I'll set up my own sewing space with my new machines. I'm also only a few days away from my second-year "blogiversary" - my first post on this blog was on August 29th, 2013! I remember following the first SOSM two years ago with such admiration for the contestants, just before starting my blog. I never imagined, then, that I would be a contestant in the next one, let alone the winner! I've learned so much in the couple of years since I picked up sewing again, and I've especially learned so much this summer.


Lastly, thank you so much to everyone reading, commenting, emailing, and following the contest. The comments on my blog are what inspire me to keep blogging, and everyone's support has meant so much to me throughout the competition!

Here's to many, many more years of sewing!

27 comments:

  1. Congratulations Shannon, I was so excited when I saw you'd won, you really deserve this. I've been following you for a good while now, and it's been great seeing your skills develop. Cannot wait to see what you do next

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Shannon! Challenge after challenge, you always gave me the 'Wow' factor. Technique, creativity, yet appearing to remain solid with your own personal style! Not easy when you are assigned a pattern and mere days to complete it! Can I also say, I'm kinda stoked that you brought it home to Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I am not a creative person, what I want to be able to do just doesn't translate to what I produce, but sewing you have a pattern and there's a set method to follow and includes working out maths bits (or at least it does when have to include as many adjustments as I do!) so I think that's where that helps us less creative with sewing! I have just recently found your blog, it is a really good read! :) http://scientificsewing.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! You're very talented, and it seems like this is coming at the perfect time for you! I know I'm the worst at commenting, but I love following your blog and seeing what you create, and I can't wait to see what you come up with in Montreal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Shannon! I am so happy for you. I was following along and hoping you would win. You have great ideas and the things you make are so beautiful! Enjoy your new machines and blessings on your new apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on a well-deserved win. Looking forward to up coming projects on those new machines!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations - your skill and creatively were truly inspiring. Have a great year in school!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huge congratulations Shannon! You absolutely deserved this win! I'm really excited for you - having two brand new machines to set up in your new apartment is such a great way to start the school year. Best of luck, and keep up the fantastic work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, congratulations! i'm so pleased for you, i hope you enjoy using your new machines! everything you made during the competition was so unique and well thought out, you really deserved to win. good luck for the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations Shannon. I have lived following your journey through this year's SOSM and had my gingers crossed for you. You've given me do much inspiration. Holly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations Shannon. I have lived following your journey through this year's SOSM and had my gingers crossed for you. You've given me do much inspiration. Holly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations, I am so happy for you! You are a marvel of sewing fearlessness...an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so exciting for you -- I was very very happy to see this news. I have loved all your projects, and it is so great that your Montreal apt. will have 2 lovely new machines for you to use :) I didn't take one when I headed off to Montreal for university all those years ago either...I went all the way out to Carrefour Angrignon to buy myself a new one :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done, your sewing shone all the way through this contest. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm not in the least bit surprised to hear you won - all your projects were amazing! Massive congratulations x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations!! I'm very happy for you - your projects were amazing and I loved seeing what you did with each of the patterns. I don't always comment, but I've been following your blog for quite awhile. You are very talented in your sewing skills. Congratulations again!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! I'm so happy you won!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations!!! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations Shannon! I can't wait to see all your makes with your new machines! that is so exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on your win! You did an amazing job on all of the projects and I really wanted you to win. Enjoy your new machines.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Huge congratulations! Very well deserved win; you did a great job with all the patterns. And your blog is a pleasure to read.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is great to be following a fellow Canadian blogger. Congratulations on your win

    ReplyDelete
  23. Greeting from across the pond. I enjoy reading your blog, and well done with the competition! Just wanted to point you to emmalinebags.com in Canada who would have been able to supply you with the sliders for your bag. She's a great Bag Designer, and carries the hardware too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestion! I wasn't really looking at ordering online because of shipping time, but if I make another bag I'll definitely check it out - it's so great to find Canadian suppliers!

      Delete
  24. Congratulations young lady! You're very talented. Keep up the great work!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So pleased for you, dear! A well deserved win! and nothing can stop you now!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This was so exciting! I dared hope from the beginning that you would win. I have been very impressed by your creative accomplishments, and I know that you will continue to have successes, creatively and academically.

    ReplyDelete